Saturday, March 10, 2007

Linni Eats Chicago: Hot Doug's



When I emailed Hot Doug to inquire about the day's specials, he replied pleasantly, signing the message "Sausagely, Doug." This is just a preface to the wonderful things he will continue to do throughout the story of my first experience at Hot Doug's Sausage Superstore and Encased Meat Emporium. I can only hope this will be the first of many entries to come, as he rotates his specials on a daily basis.


We arrived at 3:45 on a Saturday, one of the only days out of each week that Doug dishes up his Duck Fat French Fries(the other day is Friday). The store closes at 4pm and a line of at least 20 people wrapped its way outside and down the block. I parked right out front and could smell the goods before even opening the car door. After a chilly 20 minutes outside, debating whether or not we would make it inside, the warmth finally blanketed us, as did all of the Elvis memoribilia and pictures of people with sausages. This all rested on a pervasive paintjob of primary colors with a giant quote in glittery writing across the wall: "There are no two finer words in the English language than 'encased meats,' my friend."

The specials menu captivated me with tales of Ale & Chipotle Buffalo sausage with Hard Cider mustard and Monterey-Jack cheese and Mediterranean Lamb Sausage with Red-Curry Garlic sauce and Feta cheese. A man on his way out cheerily shouted "Try the rabbit," but unfortunately the White Wine and Dijon Rabbit sausage with Truffle sauce Moutarde and Port Salut cheese that he was referring to was finished for the day. We made our final choices only to be struck by a small cash-only sign. I experienced waves of disappointment to think I couldn't afford the duck fat fries and a special sausage. Apparently, I conveyed these emotions well because next thing I knew, Doug was writing down duck fat fries on our order sheet, saying he couldn't have anyone looking that sad in his store. He cheerily took what money we could give him and told us to get some drinks and find a seat, never once expressing irritation with us.


The order was out in a few short minutes, and the waittress was happy to dump an obscenely large order of the fries on our table. They didn't look like anything impressive but as soon as I popped one of the skinny delights, totally condiment-free, I was overcome by a flavor never this apparent in regular fries. They weren't the super-crispy texture I usually look for, but it didn't matter. They were dashed with grains of sea salt visible to the naked eye, a perfect complement to the smokey, natural flavor.



It was tough to halt my frenzied shoveling action with the fries, but my Apple and Cherry Pork sausage awaited, with Sweet Dijon mustard and Blue cheese, all drizzled with honey and topped with Griottes (tiny canned sour cherries). I ate in brief silence for a minute and closed my eyes to shut out the madness of the restaurant's interior. It was kind of mind-blowing.

Unfortunately, it probably has the potential to blow arteries as well as minds. I opened my eyes to observe the range of healthy-looking customers as well as the more full-bodied ones, and I could tell they were all dedicated Doug-followers, for better or worse. With delirious smiles plastered on everyones' faces, who can even bother to think about the nutritional value of the various encased products? My stomach can't wait to try them all, no matter how my heart feels.


Check www.HotDougs.com to see the day's specials before you go.
Open Monday-Saturday, 10:30-4:00
[If you're outside in the line by 4pm, he will serve you]
3324 N. California
Chicago, IL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.